to improve your organic search ranking
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of maximizing the number of visitors to a website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of free (organic), editorial or natural results returned by a search engine. SEO is important not only for getting high-quality visitors from search, but it’s also a way to improve the user-friendliness of your website and increase its credibility. Search engines are using complex algorithms to determine which pages to include in their index and the order they show these pages in the search results. SEO is the way to ‘speak’ to search engines in a language they can understand and give them more information about your website.
It is a long-term strategy that if done correctly, can help drastically improve the traffic to your website, without having to spend a significant amount of money on paid advertising.
Two of the main factors that can impact your SEO are:
- On-Page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. On-page refers to both the content and HTML source code of a page that can be optimized. Some of the most important on-page SEO tips to keep in mind are:
- Having optimized titles and descriptions
- Proper URL Structures
- User-friendly navigation (breadcrumbs, user sitemaps)
- Optimized internal links
- Text Formatting (use of bold, italics, etc)
- Properly optimized H1 tag and other headings
- Image optimization (image size, proper image names, use of ALT text)
- User-friendly 404 pages
- Fast loading pages
- Mobile-Friendly pages
- High-quality fresh content (This is always the most important SEO factor!)
- External links (no broken links or links to ‘bad’ sites)
DID YOU KNOW?
Your competitors are using SEO to grow – if they are doing it, why aren’t you?
- Off-Page SEO refers to all of the activities that you and others do away from your website to raise the ranking of a page with search engines. This can include:
- Link building
- Social media marketing
- Brand mentions
The advantages of building an effective SEO program far outweigh the disadvantages. Some of these advantages include:
- There are people searching for your products or services on search engines – there are over 2 billion people online. 93% of online activities start on a search engine.
- SEO pulls-in quality traffic and is more likely to convert – the people who come to your site are researching the problem that you solve
- Top SEO rankings provides 24/7 promotion
- SEO is a long-term strategy – it can take 6-12 months to see optimal rankings. For as long as it can take to move up the rankings, it can take just as long to move down
- SEO receives 90% more clicks than PPC
- SEO integrates all your online marketing activities
- SEO is mobile